STARTING YOUR PROJECT:
I’m in the midst of remodel madness and I realize that I am not alone! So many of us empty nesters are in the same place. We’re enjoying more time at home instead of spending every spare minute and dime on our children. The problem is, while we spent 18-25 years raising our kids, we didn’t notice that our homes had taken their share of the impact. Now we are all ready to give our homes the attention they deserve and ourselves a retreat to rest and recuperate. The question is, where to begin? Because I’m remodeling my own home and working on a couple others, it’s likely I have already found the answers to some of the questions you have. I am ready to share my remodel experience with you!
Most of us are probably beyond new pillows and accessories. Our flooring is worn out, our walls are dinged up, and our furniture has become something even your kids won’t take… Because we ignored our homes for so long, they need more updates than our bank accounts can support, and our minds can handle. I’ve seen eyes glaze from remodel and design overload so, to avoid overwhelming you, we will go through this process together. I’ll treat you as I do my clients and provide you with few steps at a time.
So here are this week’s steps:
- Write down the rooms you feel need the most help.
- Put those rooms in order of the time you spend in them.
- Make a list of what really needs to be replaced in the top three rooms.
- Decide how much money you have available to spend (remember remodel costs are almost always double what you think they will be).
- Choose the room you want to start with (keep in mind that kitchens and bathrooms bring the best return on resale).
- Begin a Pinterest board, or scrap book to save inspiration photos of spaces that appeal to you most.
- View your inspiration boards for common items for your top 3 rooms. Make some notes of what they are and where to find them.
I am going to give you a couple of weeks to work through this list. Then I’ll be back with a new list to help with phase 2 of our Remodel Break Down. Please let us know about your challenges. We can all work together to find the answers!
If you are in the Seattle area and would like our help, let us know. We provide design consultations for $250 and would love to assist you!
Follow my remodel progress on the Turn-Key Staging Facebook page. Have fun and we’ll check in soon!