No one wants to come home to a mess after a long day. When you’re busy, it is easy to let things pile up but the more cluttered your house gets, the more overwhelming it is to clean.
So, here are our biggest tips for organization:
- Keeping ahead of clutter should not be a one person job. Even the youngest can help! Just make sure everyone is clear on what their responsibility is.
- Think about how you and your family live and where the big piles accumulate then work on some easy solutions to keep your spaces neat.
- Adopt a do it now attitude. Putting things away immediately will help you get back into a routine that keeps your house clean and organized.
HERE ARE SOME OF THE SPACES WE SEE ACCUMULATING CLUTTER IN OUR OWN HOMES AND THE HOMES WE VISIT.
- one stop drop, right? Everyone comes through the door and kicks off their shoes, drops their bags and empties their pockets.
- Shoes- first set some guidelines. Each family member gets to have one pair of shoes that can be left at the door. They will be placed in a basket or shoe shelf by the entry.
- Pockets-place a console by the door and hang some key hooks or put bowl on top the console for the car keys and other small items.
- Bags-add some hooks, places them under the console or put them in a chest or a bench to hide them away.
- The second place everyone stops as they enter the home. It gets cluttered with mail, school work, coffee mugs dog leashes, etc. .……I don’t know about you but nothing makes me more tired than facing that mess.
- Buy some office organizers such as paper and mail sorters. Mark them clearly and let everyone in the family know how they work. Urgent papers like bills and kids filed trip papers need to go in one. Less urgent papers in another.
- Don’t forget an easy recycle station because way too many things need to go directly there! Just place these items at the end of the counter or on the in-kitchen desk. It might not look picturesque but it will look much neater than having papers all over your counter and table top.
- everyone has their special items that they feel need to be accessible to them in their daily routines. however, they get so buried on the bathroom counter I am surprised anyone can find what they need.
- Here are a couple of easy organization solutions that we use in our home. My husband gets a basket for all of his toiletries. It sits right on top of the counter because he is happiest when all his things are in sight. I on the other hand am fine putting things in a drawer so I have a great travel bag that I divide my makeup and toiletries up in and I always know where they are.
- Am I the only one familiar with mountains of clean and dirty laundry?! It is a never-ending process.
- Get small baskets for each person in the family and put their name on it. Make sure they aren’t too big or it will never get unloaded. As you fold the laundry out of the dryer sort it to the appropriate basket. Then make it clear that it is each family member’s job to take it to their room and empty it every week.
If your family can manage to keep ahead of the mess, when Saturday rolls around you should be able to get everything organized quickly together. Then everyone gets to enjoy that cherished time off! We say, ENJOY YOUR WEEKEND!